I've seen quite a few comments on my previous fitness posts (here, here and here) of people saying that they wished that they had more motivation to work out and stay healthy so I thought I would share some tips of how I stay motivated!
In the past I've really struggled with my body image and with food issues, but about a year ago I decided that I need to be healthier, mentally and physically. I started going to the gym more often with my sister, at first I was just doing cardio because I didn't know anything else. As I got more into my fitness journey I did more research and with my sisters help (she started doing more at Uni) I started doing more weights and now my workout consists of mainly weights.
I find exercise a really good stress release.
The main source of my motivation comes from tumblr, there's a whole lovely fitness community on there who you can talk to, ask advice and who can help you stay motivated!
I've also created a fitness planner where I keep note of everything I've eaten and drunk each day, what workouts I have done and how I'm feeling. On some of the pages I have created motivational pages:
Something else I use for motivation is Pinterest, there are so many great pictures, tips and recipes on there which are great!
I've found that having a motivational background on my phone has helped because it's something that I look at all the time and its just that extra reminder that I need. My current one says 'I may not be the strongest, I may not be the fastest but I'll be darned if I'm not trying my hardest'. The picture I found on tumblr.
- The more that you work out, the more that it becomes a habit and then the more that you enjoy it.
- Don't focus on your weight because it really doesn't mean much and muscle is denser than fat meaning that you could be getting leaner but could be actually heavier.
- Get a workout buddy! Then you can motivate each other and encourage each other not to skip a workout.
- Don't get too stressed out if you do miss a workout, it's not huge problem and won't affect your progress!
- Buy new workout gear! I find this always helps because I can not wait to wear it!
- Don't make it a short term fix, make it a lifestyle change.
- Make sure you're doing something you enjoy and have things that make it more enjoyable e.g. a great workout playlist.
- Don't use other people's bodies as you're only motivation/goals, you will never look like them but you can look like a better version of you!
- Do this for yourself, not for anyone else.
For now, thank you and goodbye,