Friday, 7 April 2017

How to admit you're struggling

Hello,

I know that in the fitness industry there are so many people who have used fitness to overcome some sort of struggle, whether it be an eating disorder, depression, or any other kind of struggle, myself included. I also know that there is a lot of pressure, particularly on 'fitness influencers', or people with large followings, to always be positive, always have good advice, and always be coping well with everything that they're doing. This post isn't just for them (especially seeing as they won't ever read it haha) but for everyone who is struggling, or anyone who has their bad days/weeks/months etc, anyone who finds it hard to admit that they're not doing 100%!





The first thing to realise is that you are not alone! It may seem like that sometimes but I promise you, there are so many people out there who feel the same way and understand what you're going through. What you're feeling is not uncommon, it's not weird and it's totally normal. You are totally allowed to feel this way, you are allowed to accept that you're not feeling great. Accepting it is one of the first ways of fighting through it.

Once you've accepted that this is how you're feeling, you need to try and figure out what works for you to help you get through this, whether this is talking to someone you trust, watching your favourite film or TV programme, going to the gym or writing a blog post! Figure out what helps you feel better, for example, as I write this, I am feeling extremely home sick and also unproductive about uni life, writing this is a way to help me feel more productive but also to remind myself that I am totally allowed to feel homesick and this feeling will not last forever.

Talking to people about how you feel can be hard, especially when they're people who do not 100% understand what you're going through, hence why a lot of the time I end up opening up to people when I'm drunk (oops). I find a good way of overcoming this difficulty is to talk to people over text or social media. I often message my two closest friends when I'm not feeling right, they always know the right things to say and how to cheer me up. People may not always understand exactly how you're feeling but they do know you, they know how to cheer you up, or even just how to listen to you. I think that's the main thing, just having someone to listen to your problems can help, talk it through with you, help you better understand it yourself.

Allow it to run its course. You know this feeling will not last forever, you will feel better soon. You have to fight through it but you will come out the other end stronger. Every down period you have is making you stronger and helping you to be able to cope with more. I truly believe that if I had never been through my lowest point, I never would have been able to cope with university and then I would never have learned all the things I have now since being here! Fighting through it and overcoming it will 100% be worth it, then you can look back on all this sh*t and realise how far you've come!

Stay strong, it'll all be okay in the end, if it's not okay, it's not the end.
It is okay to struggle, it does not make you weak, it makes you stronger.

Emily
x

No comments:

Post a Comment